The owners vision was to create a food and accommodation business that would
breath new life into a building that had suffered a century of abuse and neglect. It was a
heart over head decision and the owners were well aware that it would be hard work.
They are passionate about the district and the architectural qualities of this little town.
The building was a protected building which meant as much as possible of the
original must be retained.
The strategy was to rebuild the roof in the original form and restore the street
views of the building to its 1880’s appearance. In order to provide the necessary floor
area for the enterprise, some of the volume created by the replacement roof was used for
bedrooms. In addition a lean-to form away from the street provided the extra floor area
required so that the finished building would be large enough for 6 suites plus restaurant.
The original stone was sympathetically refurbished in a way that
has avoided an over restored too perfect look. This building has been brought back from the brink and its future is secure for another hundred years.
The attention to what sits well with the original fabric can be the making of
projects like these. It’s part of the kiwi tradition that you don’t throw things away and
people respond positively to the commitment the owners have shown to the building and